Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a dog he's up to date on shots, has been treated

Customer Question

I have a dog he's up to date on shots, has been treated for fleas using frontline on May 1. He has been sneezing more often lately (we just installed new flooring in the house and kicked up a lot of dust) he developed a patch on his front paw of hair loss and the patch has reddened since the initial loss of hair.. He has been itching more than normal but not excessively. What could this be? I have a picture
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you post the picture on this thread?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe I added it to this post

Is she licking the lesion?

Thank you for the pictures.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Occasionally. His brother has been caught licking it as well.

Friend, the lesion looks like an abrasion or a localized infection (bacterial or fungal). This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him or his brother from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and skin scrapping. Keep in mind that the hair may take weeks to grow but the redness should go away.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've read baby soap would be recommended would you recommend an antibacterial hand soap

I would recommend hibiclens antimicrobial soap as above which is an antibacterial soap.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The sore seems to be healing I have also been giving him benedryl in addition to cleaning it and applying neosporin. It has scabbed over in the middle and the outside edge has healed.

Fantastic I am happy to learn it is healing. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter