Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She eats a lot of sunflower seed shells that birds drop, is

Customer Question

She eats a lot of sunflower seed shells that birds drop, is that ok? Her most recent blood work came back with elevated liver enzymes, could there be a connections?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pearl, she is an 18 lb. dachshund who is 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pearl?
Customer: She's eating wellness dry healthy weight dog food but she always appears to be hungry
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Other than the abrasive action of those shells on the lining of her gastrointestinal tract, they're OK to eat and there's no connection to elevated liver enzymes. Elevated liver enzymes may or may not be significantly elevated. Can you upload a copy of all of Pearl's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Pearl's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?