Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My approx. 60-70 lb pit has been whining days now. She's not

Customer Question

My approx. 60-70 lb pit bull has been whining for 3 days now. She's not limping and there are no cuts or bites visible. We've given her 3 doses of aspirin and it helps for a while. She's licking her back and last two boobs. Could it be something she's ingested?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mia?
Customer: No, she's eating and drinking and still gets excited. Other then whining and yelping and shaking, in pain she's normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If she's licking at her skin and whining, I would wonder if this is due to allergies and she's itchy. That would explain the signs and also explain why Aspirin is only partially effective. I would try some Benadryl at home and see if that helps more. The dose is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. In this size dog, I would give 75 mg every 6-8 hours, as needed.

If that doesn't help either, then I would get a vet exam and probably some bloodwork to make sure we're not missing something metabolic going on. I would expect other signs in regards ***** ***** appetite or vomiting/ diarrhea, but it's worth ruling out if the Benadryl doesn't seem to help.

I hope things resolve quickly. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is nothing wrong with her skin, she's not itching, she has no known allergies. She is favoring her left leg, but there is no bite cuts scratches or open wounds, could it be something internal, if so what are we able to give her to help her.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

If she's favoring a leg, then it could be a muscle, tendon or ligament injury. In that case, some pain meds and rest may get her back to normal.

Aspirin is the only safe over the counter med for pain in dogs. The dose is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours. I would go with 1 325 mg tab every 12-24 hours. If that's not enough, you could see a vet and add in some Gabapentin or Tramadol as needed.