Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Acting quiet lethargic and shivering no appetite but drinks

Customer Question

Acting quiet lethargic and shivering no appetite but drinks water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 6 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He is on the excitable side, but today he is just out he is not convulsing but shivers on and off and sleepy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Is he acting painful?

Any vomiting/ diarrhea?

Any trouble jumping up onto couched/ furniture or doing stairs?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, to all the above questions, I did just get him to eat, he went potty normally. He is not shivering any more, just laying by my feet very quiet, not barking as usual to passer byes. His behavior is abnormal he does not like to be picked up unless in his terms, and when my husband enters the bedroom after he is up for the day max will become aggressive, but all that is not happening
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Ok thanks.

The signs are kind of vague. My guess is that he hurts somewhere. It can be difficult to diagnose where, though. We see this a lot at the ER- acting weird, not as energetic, off their food. One of the more common causes, is back pain from a disc herniation. Those dogs are also reluctant to jump up or do stairs. They may still do it, but it's slower and painful. They may also yelp when they're picked up.

With these mild signs, I would probably just take it easy with him at home for a few days. If the signs seem to worsen, then get to a vet. As long as they slowly improve day to day, it should be something that works itself out at home.

If you want to try an over the counter pain med, Aspirin is the safest. The dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?