Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Is there a natural substitute ( remedy )? she keeps biting

Customer Question

is there a natural substitute ( remedy ) for prednisolone ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: she keeps biting herself
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sparky age 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sparkly?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog is itching so much but unfortunately there is no natural substitute for prednisolone

I can give you some basic guidelines but you may want to investigate the cause of the itching. For example is it food allergy or environmental. Food allergies are not seasonal but year round versus environmental allergies may wax and wane in severity throughout the year

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen (or a medicated shampoo with chlorhexidine)
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. You can also talk to your veterinarian about apoquel which is a newer medication that is very effective to minimize itching and is easier on dogs than the prednisolone is with no side effects. CLICK HERE for more information

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Hi Ralph,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman