Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 2 boxers and 1 golden retriever started throwing up

Customer Question

My 2 boxers and 1 golden retriever started throwing up continuously and now after almost 24 hours have started diahrea The only thing we can figure is they ate off an old pile of blackened mowed grass. Will this make them sick or even kill them. It is 5am and I am trying to decide it they need to go into the vet. They have vomited quite a bit of liquid clear slime after their food was vomited up and now it is very runny almost watery diahrea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was the grass treated with anything?

Can they keep water down?

Are their gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on each dog's belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

What does the vomit and diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you, so I do want to leave my thoughts thus far for your return.

Now if the grass was treated with ant chemicals, then its worth having them seen here for decontamination, fluids, and injectable anti-nausea treatment.

Though if they just ate old grass, we can try supportive care while keeping a close eye on them. In regards ***** ***** as long as they can keep water down, then further to the Sucralfate and if they haven’t all just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest their stomachs for a few hours first), then you can consider treating with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if they have any known health issues or are on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if they cannot keep this down, the we’d need them seen for injectable anti-vomiting medication from their vet.

Otherwise, if they can and once they are a bit steadier on their stomachs, we can start all of tem on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and reduce diarrhea. You can also add fiber to this (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to help bulk up their stools quicker.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on their hydration. To check this and ensure no one is becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure their eyes are not looking sunken and that they don’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have them seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing their upset GI.

Overall, we need to tread with care if they have all eaten this material. We can start supportive care to settle their stomachs. Though if anyone cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within the next few hours; then we'd want to get their vet involved. They can assess their hydration, make sure there is nothing in their stomach that shouldn't be there and start them on injectable anti-vomiting medication , fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle their stomachs.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )