Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 9 year old female Chocolate Lab has been dx with 's

Customer Question

My 9 year old female Chocolate Lab has been dx with Bell's Palsy. She was dx after a sneezing attack (almost non-stop, violent sneezing, causing nose-bleeds and her mouth to bleed), then her left eye started watering constantly). Now, Zoey's cranial muscles are regressed making it look like her skull is sunk in, and her left eye requires care TID, she cannot eat as she did because the left side of her jaw/lip appears numb (she bites it and doesn't flinch), her left paw is swollen larger (she's now actually clumsy) than her other paws, and now in the last two days we've noticed...she doesn't bark any more. She used to bark at thunder. Last night we had a thunder storm and she did nothing. We think her vision has diminished greatly in her left eye as she hits thinks with that side of her head. We are so sadden and afraid to take her to her Vet fearing the terrible news of, 'putting her down.' In humans Bells Palsy goes away and the person gets somewhat better. Does this ever happen with dogs? We've learned Bell's Palsy is associated with a cranial nerve... what can we do...what can be done professionally to help her to get well? Thank you for your time and for listening. Roger, Gail & Zoey
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried about Zoey. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Bell's palsy is paralysis of one nerve, the facial nerve, in people. This makes the muscles on on side of the face to droop. It sounds like Zoey has more than paralysis of the facial nerve, if she is losing vision in one eye, her left paw is swollen and she is clumsy on the left side, and has lost her voice. It sounds like more than one nerve is affected on the left side of her face and leg. She may have a disorder of multiple nerves, a brain tumor, a brain infection. Conditions of the nervous system do sometimes get better after awhile, but it is best to find the cause and if there is a possible treatment.

If she were mine, I would consider testing for some of the tick borne diseases. I would also consider a consultation with a veterinary neurologist.

I might try a combination of doxycycline, clindamycine and prednisone to treat for possible brain infections and inflammation.

I would ask your vet for a referral to a neurologist if there is one in your area.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.