Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Please can you help my dog she is 15 & a half and has itchy

Customer Question

Please can you help my dog she is 15 & a half and has itchy lumps on her feet. I would like to know if there is a cream that will help with take the itchy-ness away. She is a maltese x poodle. Lots were taken off her body last year but the vet would not do her feet because it would be too hard to stitch them. Hope you can help her as she is still very active and we love her dearly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you can try to reduce her skin irritation by using an OTC

hydrocortisone cream or spray. These are available at most pharmacies and some pet stores. Otherwise, your vet can dispense a combination antibiotic/steroid cream like Fuciderm. Of course, whichever you use, you will need to block her access to her feet so she doesn’t lick it off. So, you may need to use an e-collar or socks on her feet to prevent this.

Otherwise, to address any itch inducing allergy component, you can also try to reduce the itch with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Though if her signs are too severe to be settled with the above, then we’d want to have a check up with her vet so that they can address this with oral/systemic treatment to settle this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )