Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Cam you please help? We think our 18-20lb maltese poodle ate

Customer Question

Hello Dr.,
Cam you please help? We think our 18-20lb maltese poodle ate a lot of salt about 5 hours ago. We found him outside running around with a Morton salt container that he and my other two larger dogs had torn up. I'm not sure if they managed to cover the yard in salt or ingested it. When we took the container away, there was still a large amount of the salt in the container but I'm not sure if any at all was eaten. What should we do? Do symptoms usually occur quickly? When would we be in the clear?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How is he just now?

Is he drinking excessively? Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He hasn't vomited, has been drinking normally, and seems fine. He actually seems about ready for bed. I'm just not sure what to watch out for.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He's drinking water every 10 minutes or so but it's also been very hot and he was running around all day.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad that he is acting like himself, though I would suggest monitoring his water intake. As well, since salt ingestion can cause a number of signs, we’d also want to monitor for any signs of GI upset ( vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, etc), lethargy, or increased thirst/urination (outside drinking for warm weather).Just to note, if they do eat large volumes (which sounds less likely here if he is well 5 hours on), then there is the risk of kidney damage, wobbliness, and, abnormal fluid accumulation within the body (which if that occurs in the brain we can see tremors, seizures, and collapse).

With this all in mind, we need to tread with care but again this sounds like he has not had much. Therefore, we’d want to monitor that water intake and for the above signs. As long as we don’t see those over the next 48 hours, we’d assume he spilled more than he ate. Of course, any of those severe signs and we’d want his vet involved so IV fluids can be started to safely flush the salt from his body and rebalance his electrolytes. But again if it is 5 hours on without those signs, that bodes well for his not eating much and reduces our worries of serious harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sebastian. How is everything going?