Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog got into a bag of beneful healthy weight and ate way

Customer Question

My dog got into a bag of beneful healthy weight and ate way too much 24 hrs ago. What do I do to stop the poisoning effect of beneful dog food? Apparently is has killed and made so many dogs sick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Is she acting ill? How is she doing today?

Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Hello, are you online to discuss your dog?

Unfortunately there are many internet rumors about beneful causing death in dogs. These are just that, rumors. There is no evidence that beneful is poisonous and I have many clients who feed this food without a problem. If your dog is having some symptoms after the ingestion, it is likely due to the large amount of food in the stomach which can sometimes cause an obstruction or be difficult to pass. If your dog is not eating, is vomiting, lethargic, having abdominal pain, or is straining to have a bowel movement, then I would recommend taking them in for a veterinary exam ASAP. An x-ray may be warranted depending on the symptoms to see if a large amount of food is still in the stomach. In some cases, we may need to give a dog fluids, laxatives, or even lavage the stomach to remove some of the excess food in order to help them in these cases.

Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
Just checking to see how your dog was doing?