Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

MY DOG GETTING BLOOD IN STOOL, MY DOG NAME IS SWONY 6 YEARS

Customer Question

MY DOG GETTING BLOOD IN STOOL
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: MY DOG NAME IS ***** ***** YEARS OLD FEMALE
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Swony?
Customer: NO ,IT IS GEETING EVERY 30 DAY TO 45 DAYS
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues and the repetitive issues you have seen for your Swony

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.

3.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea does not change or becomes bloodier with the episodes then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

4.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin level that is sent to a lab in Texas to rule out this condition but this is much less likely with these symptoms

I have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything outside of her normal food she breaks with loose stools +/- blood :(

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you