Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Swallowed 1\2 mg of guanfacine. She is a out 80lbs, Dog. Red

Customer Question

Swallowed 1\2 mg of guanfacine. She is a out 80lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog. Red bone coon hound
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: She is being treated for addisons diseae
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the guanfacine?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
15 minutes. We do have peroxide

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, Guanfacine ingestion in dogs can cause: Hypotension (decrease blood pressure), bradycardia (slow heart rate), weakness, etc. as little as 0.02mg/kg can cause these symptoms. In this case based on weight your dog took a dose of 0.01mg/kg. To be on the safe side I would recommend you try to induce vomiting. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the pill in the vomit observe him closely for the next 4-8 hours. If he becomes weak, changes in respiration, pale gums, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter