Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

In bad pain, acts like s gut. Has hernia protruding on left

Customer Question

in bad pain, acts like his gut. Has hernia protruding on left of penis(had for years). Found hard spot in hernia area and gently massaged it away. Seems to be in less pain now. What do you think? Cloggage?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** and I've been practicing small animal medicine and surgery for over 30 years.

I'm sorry to hear that Neo is experiencing severe pain. Always with hernia's of the abdominal wall we are concerned about intestinal entrapment with the possibility of strangulation of the intestinal loop, death of that tissue and resulting peritonitis which can lead to death if it is not treated (or better yet prevented).

Entrapment of an intestinal segment sounds highly possible, and I do recommend that your vet there do a hands on exam of Neo to determine what needs to be done for him.

I'm very glad that your wise massage helped Neo, but if this was an intestinal loop strangulation, there may have been enough damage to the intestine to require surgical intervention to remove the damaged intestinal loop. At the very least, if this was an intestinal loop strangulation, the intestine will likely slip through the hole again with possible dire consequences.