Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

The dog woke up w a swollen eye. Not weeping just

Customer Question

The dog woke up w a swollen eye. Not weeping just swollen. I want to give benadryl. Is the dose 25 MG per 1 lb ...2 to 3 times a day?obviously if it doesn't go down I will take to vet but for today I'd like to try this. Pit bull 5 yes old

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The typical recommended dose for Benadryl for dogs is 1mg per lb of body weight every 8-12 hours. So, if a dog weighs 25 lbs, they would get 25 mg. I usually round to the nearest 25 lbs for dosing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.