Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

How does chocolet affect a dog

Customer Question

how does chocolet affect a dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains what is called theobromine which causes constriction of the blood vessels and stimulation of the central nervous system. If consumed in a large enough amount, it can decrease blood flow to the brain, over stimulate the nervous system causing seizures and increase the heart rate so much that the amount of blood pumped per beat is decreased. It can also affect the calcium levels which are used for the contraction of skeletal muscle.

The first sign of chocolate toxicosis is usually vomiting and diarrhea, they can then develop seizures, jumpiness and restlessness. In advanced stages, muscles can become rigid and stiff. Death is usually due to heart failure and can occur as soon as 12 hours after ingestion.

Baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain higher amounts than milk chocolate. If chocolate ingestion is at all suspected, vomiting should be induced as soon as possible. If vomiting does not occur, then gastric lavage should be performed by a vet. Supportive treatment is then undergone.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you!