petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

He's panting with a lot of drool and s stomach is enlarged

Customer Question

He's panting with a lot of drool and his stomach is enlarged and very hard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jackson, 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jackson?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Jackson today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

What breed of dog is Jackson?

How long has this been going on?

Is he vomiting or acting like he is trying to?

When was the last time you saw him pass any stool? Was it normal in appearance?

When was the last time he ate?

Can you look at his gums and see if they are nice and pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jaxs is an Irish wolfhound/Aussie Shepard. I noticed his belly a week ago. He ate this morning and pooped twice, once was normal the second witch was immediately after but slightly runny. His gums look great. he is also very lethargic
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

When a large breed dog is showing symptoms as you describe, we certainly have to be concerned with the possibility of gastric bloat, but that is not a condition that continues for a week, so if the stomach was enlarged last week, that is less likely. Certainly, there are other abnormalities that can make the abdomen appear swollen, such as tumors, internal bleeding, or even gas in the GI tract. The other symptoms he is showing would make you think that the GI tract may be involved. Drooling can be a sign of nausea and the soft stool he is passing may indicate the colon is involved as well. If these symptoms continue, it definitely warrants an evaluation by his veterinarian for a definitive diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

In the meantime, I would fast Jackson to give his GI system a rest. Since he is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean him back onto his normal food and feeding schedule.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
petdrz
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry for the delay Jackson is now completely blind with SARDS in just two days...feeling so sad for him but also know he'll adapt. I can't believe he could see Monday, it all seems so surreal. Really just unbelievable!!