Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She has skin allergies & Sat nite & today-she has scratched

Customer Question

She has skin allergies & Sat nite & today-she has scratched & used her teeth to make horrible red bald places on one of her legs & one on her back. I have given her Benadryl, 4-25mg today. But she is miserable. She's in pain & I can't get her to a vet until I'm the morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is a wound on her hip-I guess I would call it, and one on her back.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is Pepper & she's 6 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: No. She has to have shots for these allergies every year but they just start up without any warning.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help or have already had Pepper attended to by her vet. When dogs suffer an acute hypersensitivity reaction as you've described we're constrained to immersing them in cool water, administering an antipruritic (anti-itch) tranquilizer such as Acepromazine, and/or a fast acting glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone. If the drugs aren't available at home, a human narcotic or benzodiazepine (Valium, Xanax, e.g.) might be of value.