Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 13 years old and we noticed a sore near s rectum

Customer Question

my dog is 13 years old and we noticed a sore near his rectum was seen by vet put on prednisone, and an antibiotic has some cyst near rectum. today he is struggling to use the restroom, bears down but crys out nothing comes put, does not seem interested in eatting dry food even though he normally does eat it. since starting on the medicine we have used wet dog food to give him his meds he did eat a small can today but he is also not wanting to get up and walk any as he keeps falling down. prior to being put on medicine we had notices him getting weak but now it is worse. he wont stand to eat or drink and will not stand long when attempting to use restroom. vet did say one of the sores was a hot spot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: not that i can think of. he is a big breed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long since he last passed a normal stool? What color is what he is passing?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i took him to my vet this morning.they pulled out a lot of compacted poopand it was black. they think possible blood. usually his stoolas are runny and brown.he is doing a lot of drooling, gums white and pale and moist
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

Since he was seen, would you like me to send your question back to customer service?

Is your vet aware that his gums are white?