Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I have a pit she's 12 years old she's been having seigerz

Customer Question

I have a pit bull she's 12 years old she's been having seigerz every 6 hours I'm gonna take her to the vet in the morning do you think I should take her to the emergency room tonight?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She seem a Little lethargic this morning and I don't know where she started seizure and she's been getting seizures every six hours after that one
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lola
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: No she's been perfectly healthy other than her skin's little sensitive
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Lola. I am sorry it sounds like she has had a rough day. Has Lola ever had seizures before today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No but I resenly went on vacation and I believe she was having them when I was gone when I can home she looked like she had an episode but my dog sitter thought she was just depressed

Ok, thank you for that information. And how many seizures has she had so far today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's had three so far

Has Lola recently had any blood tests done at your vet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No not yet I'm gonna take her to her vet tomorrow morning

Ok, great. A blood test will help rule out if the seizures are being caused by a metabolic disease, such as liver disease. Getting back to your original question, it is not necessary to take her to the emergency vet tonight unless you feel she is lethargic, disoriented, or if the seizures last more than a few minutes, or become more frequent. Since she is an older girl, seizures can be very tiring, so if she is having more or if they seem to be severe, then an emergency vet would be able to give her medicine to stop the seizures.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do the medications they give them have strong side effects? If any?

Most seizure medications can cause some sleepiness, but it usually is for a brief timeframe when the medication is started. There are many new generation seizure medications that have less side effects and are very well tolerated by most dogs.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She just had seizure about 20 min ago she was lethargic and disoriented right after it happened she is now sleeping and really relaxed should I still take her to that emergency room?

If she is comfortably sleeping, you can monitor her for now. If she seems to be having more frequent or more severe seizures overnight, you may not want to wait until the morning, and it may be best to take her to the ER.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help I'll sleeping with her tonight. ��

You're welcome. Good luck to you and Lola tonight!

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

I hope it is a quite night for you both.

Please take a moment to provide a positive rating if the information provided was helpful, as I am only compensated for positive answers. Thank you.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat