Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He is pushing and gasping. He has passed a small amount of

Customer Question

He is pushing and gasping. He has passed a small amount of poop that was filled with rice like worms. He has had diarrhea a lot and I just had him wormed this past Monday! Now he is acting like he may vomit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 9 week old Yorkie puppy
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of! He has a play pen that he stays in so I feel it's unlikely
JA: What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Banjo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Banjo?
Customer: He has had all shot been wormed two times in the past two weeks and right now is straining a lot and seems to not be able to pass something! His last stool had mucus blood and rice like worms in it but was a pretty small amount
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What did you deworm him with? Did you note if he had any fleas?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took him to the vet for deworming since he is so young. And he has no fleas.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Did your veterinarian tell you what they dewormed him with? Did they test his fecal sample for worms? They way you are describing the rice like worms it sounds like he may have the intestinal parasite called tapeworms. Typically general dewormers that are given to puppies don't usually treat those. Usually they have to get a medication called Praziquantel or Drontal to get rid of them. That may be the cause of the straining, but I would also be worried if he at something unusual.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is laying here straining and every now and then he acts like he is trying to force something out of his throat even and he screams! It's awful!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They did a fecal test and saw nothing but wormed him again anyway! I'm not saying it is impossible that he ate something bad but he was fine this morning and when I go to work he stays in a crate so idk how he could have gotten to anything!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If it is tapeworms how can I help him till we can get meds?

Even with the still photos I can tell he is uncomfortable. If it is tapeworms the only medication that may be available will likely require a prescription from your veterinarian. Even if it is tapeworms, with his amount of discomfort, I would probably recommend that he is seen. I would worry that there could potentially be damage if he continues to strain. They may need to palpate him and possible take x-rays to rule out a blockage.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I don't know any vets available after hours in our area! Is there anyway to make him comfortable till the morning at all?

It would be difficult to tell you specifically what to do since we don't know the cause of his signs. Is he still eating for you at all? I would feed him smaller amounts of food. There may be some stores that may carry a dewormer that can treat tapeworms but not sure how effective it will be since it is not prescription. What area do you leave in? I may be able to find out if I know of any after hour clinics that may be open in your area.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He hasn't ate today. Is there anyway this could be impaction of any kind? He just had the rest done Monday and did not have tape worms.

Unfortunately tapeworms are rarely diagnosed on a fecal test due to the way they release their eggs. We tend to only treat it if an owner notices the rice like worms in the stool. I would be worried about some type of impaction if he is straining and screaming in pain.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is screaming and straining! That's why I'm worried! I did see the little worms in his stool though I'm just confused on why he hasn't shown any symptoms and I've never seen a dog with worms get this bad off this fast???

Can you tell me the area that you live in, I can see if I can find a vet that may be open for emergencies. If the straining was due to the worms which is rare for those type of symptoms, it would be due to the large volume of worms being produced. Otherwise I would be concerned about an impaction of some sort which could be considered an emergency.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I live in Troy Alabama. He is gasping and wheezing and straining! He is extremely uncomfortable

Looks like most of the animal hospitals that are open now are at least 60 miles away from you . One is the Auburn University veterinary hospital.

Here is another one and its information.

Southern Regional Veterinary Emergency Services

301 Westgate Pkwy
Dothan, AL 36303
Phone
Main:(###) ###-####/p>

I would call them and see how they can help you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh wow that's an hour and a half away!!

That may be your only option since he seems so uncomfortable. I would call them first just to see what they say as far as transporting him.