Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I think my dog ate a ckichen bone a couple days ago and

Customer Question

I think my dog ate a ckichen bone a couple days ago and there is a small amount of blood in his stool. I did change his food about the same time so his stool is on the loose side.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bo.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bo?
Customer: Not really. 2 year old schitzu?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did you change his diet because of the bone ingestion or simply a new diet change?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No he was bored with his food so I mixed some new stuff with his existing food. No other symptoms that I can tell just the small amount of blood in his stool. He is eating and drinking fine it seems.

Friend, when we see blood with loose stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon; this can be caused by both the bone or the new food. Other possible causes are: Infections, parasites, ingestion of a foreign bod, etc. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into regular (new) diet over a period of 1-2 weeks. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours or if he becomes lethargic, vomiting, anorexic, etc. I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.