Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

We have a Dachshund that is an adult, 5-7 years old, began

Customer Question

We have a Dachshund that is an adult, 5-7 years old, began runny diarrhea 5-days ago, he is now somewhat inactive and just not himself. He seems to be getting more dehydrated. won't eat still drinking occasionally.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change overnight please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat that is a little more gamey than chicken to entice the appetite. Perhaps bison or lean beef, add water to the mixture to maintain hydration
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle his stomach about 15 minutes prior to meals. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please do not repeat the immodium. Some dogs and certain breeds in particular can have a reaction to this product and I do avoid using it if at all possible unless your veterinarian directs it.

Reasons to recommend a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!