Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

With in 15 my 8 year old dog went from fine to having a

Customer Question

With in 15 my 8 year old dog went from fine to having a complete seizure she is blind and deaf and peeing on her self her stomach is swelling
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 5 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you are experiencing this. let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have a few more questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.
Is there any chance she could have gotten into anything?
is she on any meds or have any current illness?
has she always been blind/deaf?
has this ever happened before?
had recent bloodwork?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No she didn't go anywhere all of a sudden she looked at me with a wild eyes look no she's always been perfect until today I have a vet appt In the morning but not sure she'll make it i was wondering if it could've been a stoke

Was she aware of her surroundings when it happened? responsive to her name? how is she acting now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She laying on a blanket wetting herself and whining and no she acts like she doesn't know who I am or where she is
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But she's steadily wagging her sweet tail

How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
9 this morning

sorry it doesn't say where you are at in the US, how many hours ago was this?
Has she changed (gotten worse, better, stayed the same) since it happened?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm in alabama 8 hours ago she boot better for about a hour and she's way worse now and she can't control her head she shakes it like she's looking at something

Is she able to walk around? eat or drink?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Walks but not good falls and drank water once won't take any food

I am sorry to hear this. I can't quite figure out from what you are describing if it was a seizure or a stroke. Strokes aren't common in dogs, but your situation isn't quite clear cut. Usually pet's that have seizures will recover and be fine or mostly normal within a few hours, unless they continue to have seizures. I would definitely recommend getting her in to be evaluated asap, especially if she is getting worse and cannot pick her head up. I would definitely recommend getting bloodwork done to rule out any internal organs not working appropriately. A good exam should also help to narrow some things down. definitely if she is having multiple seizures she needs to be seen right away to stop them.

when you say her stomach is swelling, what do you mean by that?
how is her gum color?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gums are pink her belly is huge

I am concerned about her belly being really enlarged, can you take a pic of her and send it so I can see?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can

Let me know when you are able to get that pic so I can try to get an idea of how bad it is distended.