Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She's diabetic and had her insulin after breakfast. She

Customer Question

She's diabetic and had her insulin after breakfast. She vomited about two hours later and has continued to vomit for the past 6 or so hours. No more food to come up just liquid/mucous. Has been drinking a little. What has this done to her blood sugar levels?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maya, age 10, yellow lab. Has been on insulin for a bout 3 months.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: She had a bout of anaplasmosis (?) around the same time she was diagnosed with diabetes. A month of antibiotics cleared that up. She's been very perky and doing well until today.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Her stomach is likely to have mostly or fully emptied prior to vomiting ensuing this morning and so it should have raised her blood sugar level as it would on any other day. Please let me know if you think that that's not the case. Regardless, she should be given her regular dose of insulin this evening. If she doesn't eat this evening or eats and vomits her food then her next insulin dose should be halved. A third missed meal dictates stopping insulin and consulting with her vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?