Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our beagle ate 2 big cubes of bromethalin Cat 20 days ago.

Customer Question

Our beagle ate 2 big cubes of bromethalin Tom Cat 20 days ago. We could not make it to the vet (Memorial Day we were 3 hours away from anywhere) but with hydrogen peroxide we got him to barf all the way to dry heaves within 30 to 40 minutes. He has been fine until yesterday when he is starting to act like his right rear leg hurts but he doesn't Yelp when we probe it. He is a little down for him. 1 year old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the beagle?
Customer: There are some dogs that pick on him in the neighborhood. Could the Poisin just be kicking in?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

His right rear leg isn't likely to be related to his bromethalin ingestion three weeks ago particularly because he vomited the great majority of it. A hind limb paralysis can set in up to 5 days or more later after significant bromethalin ingestion, however. Those cubes totalled 2 ounces of bromethalin which equates to 5.68 mg of bromethalin. 0.34 mg/lb can cause such paralysis. How much does your beagle weigh, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
25 lbs.

Thank you. 25 lbs x 0.34 mg/lb = 8.5 mg to have been significantly intoxicated. He ingested 5.7 mg and threw the bulk of it up. W e need to look for another cause of his right rear leg pain - soft tissue injury such as bruise, sprain, or strain or musculo-skeletal disorders. "Watchful waiting" is appropriate because he's been "down" for just 24 hours. Unless he worsened, I'd be patient for up to a week before having his vet thoroughly examine him. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?