Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 13 week old cavalier charels just ate the leather shoe

Customer Question

My 13 week old cavalier king charels just ate the leather shoe laces out of a pair of ll bean
rain shoes? should I take him to the emergeny
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat these?

Where they chewed to bits or swallowed whole?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. He swallowed it whole, but it was knotted leather. It happened about an hour ago. I know what he was working on, when I got to him, there was only about a 5 inch section left. His gums are still moist. He ate his lunch just before the laces.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Oh dear,

While I am glad to hear that your lad sounds asymptomatic and showing no signs, if it has been so long already then its highly likely this laces are moving into the intestines. Which is where laces tends to cause problems, since they become a blockage but also lead to the gut catching on itself or the laces can even end up cheesewiring right through the GI. So, we need to tread with great care here.

In this case, since he has no signs, we can cautiously monitor and start supportive care here. To start, we can feed a bland diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or garlic/onion-free meat baby food). These should be offered in small meals and whichever you choose you an add a spoonful of tinned pumpkin mixed in. The fiber in the pumpkin will help push the laces material through. As well, you can start treating him a few times daily with an OTC cat hairball medication +/- add GI lubricants (ie lactulose, miralax, etc) to his food to lubricate the gut and aid passage of this.

Of course, while doing so we need to keep a close eye. Any restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, belly pain, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood); then we'd need him to see his vet urgently for examination +/- an xray to see where it is all is and if it can pass on its own.

Overall, laces (and any linear foreign body) can be a real nightmare for our dogs. Therefore, we need to be very careful and monitor him closely. So, we’d be best to start the above just now but plan to have him seen if any of those signs appear.

Just in case he does show signs, you can find your local ER veterinary clinic @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thank you once again for your response. I will try the pumpkin. I will be keeping a very close eye on him. All prayers to God and Everything crossed...he will pass it with no trouble.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action and I do truly hope he chewed these to bits and that we see all that shoelace material out the other end (but no pulling if you do see any hanging from the rectum).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Janine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Janine Centorbi. How is everything going?

nekovet