Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

She has had happy tail months now, after changing the

Customer Question

She has had happy tail for several months now, after changing the bandage on the tip it is very black. Can't tell because of the fur but it looks to be at least an inch down. She seems a little agitated with it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Amy. Yellow Lab, 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Amy?
Customer: No, in good health. Just the tail. Concerned as to whether to wait until tomorrow to take her to our vet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am assuming that she injured her tail doing something that has caused you to place a bandage on this. It is normal for the very happy dogs with a long tail to hit things with it and cause bleeding. If this area appears black, this may mean that this area has died and may need to be removed. If Amy is still happy and eating well it is not an emergency and can wait until you see your vet in the morning. If this area is very painful and Amy is not her normal self, then this could go systemic and it would be important to take Amy to the ER vet just to be safe. From what you have described, it appears sensitive but not a worry just yet. It is best to have your vet examine Amy soon but it may not need to be today when prices are much higher.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome! I am sure Amy will do well with you caring for her.