Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 pound daschaund accidentally ate one 16 mg apoquel

Customer Question

My 10 pound daschaund accidentally ate one 16 mg apoquel tablet and one 75 mg novox tab meant for the pit bull. Will she be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she have this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2-3 hours ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Since it has been a good wee while already, how is she just now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Since it was just one tablet is it safe?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now both of these drug doses are quite high for her size and adverse signs are quite likely. Specifically, we could see her develop GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) and potentially risk a stomach ulcer over the next 24 hours with this dose.

Therefore, we do want to tread with care. Since so much time has passed, we are limited in what we can do. Inducing vomiting won’t be of benefit, but we can at least limit absorption with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, to reduce the risk of an ulcer, we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, even one tablet is serious here since the milligrams per kilogram of her weight dose is large. So, we need to use the above now to reduce this risk and keep a close eye on her for the next few days.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If no symptoms occur within the next 24-48 hours does this mean she is fine with no long term effects?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

If we get past that point, then we'd feel that we are out of the woods. And I would just note that even though the Noxov dose was quite high, its thankfully lower then the level we tend to see kidney damage. So, it is a case of close monitoring and supportive care with this situation to offset those adverse signs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet