Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My female spayed 29 pound dog started having problem 2 weeks

Customer Question

My female spayed 29 pound dog started having problem 2 weeks ago with prolapsed urethra. I took her to the vet and was told to keep it clean and put neosporin on the area which has been done every day. Yesterday I put cold compresses on the area every hour. This morning it still is bothering her. She is still able to pee but it's uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: No. she is healthy otherwise. Takes comfortis every month and that's it. Dry food only.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Can you tell me, please, if the diagnosis of urethral prolapse has been confirmed? This is a disorder most often evidenced by protrusion of the distal portion of the urethral mucosa through the external orifice of the penis most often seen in young intact male English bulldogs and Boston terriers. It does, however, uncommonly occur in females. How old and which breed is Zoe, please? Is she spayed?