Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog got into a trash bag and ate a depends pad. She has

Customer Question

My dog got into a trash bag and ate a depends pad. She has vomitted twice and was shaking/shivering in the night. Now she is very lethargic and looks terrible. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I ahve a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

If you press on her belly, does she act painful?

When did she get into the bag?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Lisa,
She does not show any discomfort when I push on her belly. I think she got into the bag yesterday morning. She was fine all day, other than coughing a little when excited. She woke me around 3:00 a.m. wanting to go out. That is when she first coughed up some vomit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After letting her out. She jumped in bed with me, but almost seemed to shiver ever few seconds. I just gave her an ice cube to chew on and she did eat it.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So my biggest concern here is that your girl is showing some signs of a pretty serious problem. A possible obstruction....the trembling (which is often a sign of pain) and vomiting immediately after ingesting anything in the days after eating something they're not supposed to are HUGE warning signs that your vet needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

An intestinal obstruction (likely caused by the depends) is what happens when the dog ingests something that is too big or too bulky to pass through the digestive tract the normal way. It gets stuck on one of the turns in the intestines and stops the flow of everything, causing your dog to get sicker and sicker until the intestine ruptures (if left untreated).

This is something that is absolutely, positively worth the drive to the emergency vet on a Sunday. Since your dog is already showing signs of obstruction I would strongly urge you to NOT wait until morning to have her seen...intestinal obstructions can turn fatal very quickly, so time is of the essence here.

At the emergency vet, they'll take an x-ray to see where the obstruction is and if it's still high up in the digestive tract, they'll have to remove it surgically.

You can read more about obstructions below:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/io.html

All that being said...if there isn't an emergency vet in your area, then you could continue to monitor her today. If she has more episodes of vomiting and trembling, or if she develops any other signs, then you should have her seen first thing in the morning tomorrow.

I hope everything works out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are out of town traveling. What other signs should we look for?
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Problems defecating, not eating/drinking, painful belly, attempting to vomit or vomiting, lethargy and any other behavior that is out of the ordinary for her are signs she needs to be seen.

If you'd like to find a vet on your travels, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in the zip code of where you are. They'll point you in the direction of the clinic nearest to you.