Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog was running up the stairs (carpet), and appears to

Customer Question

My dog was running up the stairs (carpet), and appears to have ripped o
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oops. She appears to have ripped off part of the nail, leaving part of the quick (or what i think is the quick) exposed & a small piece is hanging off like a hangnail. I took some pics of both the broken nail and her paw, with a post-it note behind it to improve the detail. I'm not sure what to do now, but i'm afraid the dangling piece will get torn off as well.... Help?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Broken nail
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hanging off part
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl injured her nail. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

The solid portion in the center is the quick. You need to clip that nail as close to the quick as you can get it so that it does not snag. Since the largest portion of the nail has ripped off if you do not have dog nail clippers human toenail clippers should work.

This is going to be sore for a few days and you may have to take her to the vet to have that nails clipped back past the quick so that the quick itself is not exposed. Just as a warning this will bleed when they clip it but we have stuff to stop the bleeding right away. Again this is going to be painful for a few days and she may have some limping but it should resolve with no lasting complications.

Because this can be painful I would make sure to have someone hold her while you trim that nail.

I hope this helps and she heals up quickly.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.