Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My female has all of sudden tonight become very sensitive

Customer Question

Hi, my female has all of sudden tonight become very sensitive and around your vagina and she has little lumps on it and when I Rub it's like nice and relaxing for her but she can't sit still she is very frustrated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that our main concerns for diffuse little lumps on this tissue would be an inflammatory dermatitis, allergic reaction, or possible bacterial infection (pyoderma). Though I'd note that if she has been licking the area with this, then we'd also have to consider irritation related to an underlying issue (ie urinary tract infection, uterine infection, etc). So, we need to address the skin but monitor Tahi closely for these other issues.

Therefore, to start (and as long as you are sure she hasn't any vaginal discharge and no changes to her urination), if she is paying any mind to this area then you need to block her access to this area. To do so, we may need to use an e-collar +/- have her wear boxers (turned backwards so there is a hole for her tail) to break this cycle of skin damage and infection.

Otherwise, we'd want to cleanse the area with an antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water. Afterwards,make sure to pat the area dry and you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) twice daily to counter the infection. And to reduce her irritation, you can alternate this with OTC hydrocortisone cream as well.

Finally, your use of an antihistamine was reasonable but do note that the one you have used needs to be given at a dose dependent on her weight. So, she needs between 0.1-0.5 milligrams per kilogram of her weight every 12 hours (with a maximum dose of 6mg) and you may need to adjust what you gave depending on Tahi's weight and the milligrams of your tablets.

Overall, it sounds like we have a possible allergic, inflammatory, or bacterial dermatitis. This could be a primary issue but we have to monitor for any underlying issues present as well. Therefore, we'd want to prevent her self-trauma and start the above to try to soothe that skin for her And if we cannot do so or you see those other issues, then we’d be at a stage where we’d want her local vet to pinpoint the trigger for this +/- start a course of antibiotics and steroids to help get her back to normal for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )