Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate my sons fiber vitamins, he is acting normal but

Customer Question

My dog ate my sons fiber vitamins, he is acting normal but wanted to check to see if he needed to go to the vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: They are for children. His name is ***** ***** he is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ace?
Customer: No, he is healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you list the ingredients with the milligrams per tablet?

2- How long has it been since he ate them?

3- How much does your dog weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. Calories 5
Carbs 4g
Dietary fiber 3G
Xylitol <1gHe ate approximately 45 of them and it is 2 per serving size.2. Ate them 12 hours ago3. 100lbs black lab4. Yes I have hydrogen peroxide

Did he show any symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, weakness, etc.?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No had 2 liquid stools this morning though

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok

Friend, the main concern with these vitamin pills is the Xylitol which can be toxic to dogs depending on the dose. Xylitol in dogs can cause either hypoglycemia at doses of 0.1 gram per kilogram body weight and above or liver toxicity at dose of 1 g/kg and above. For a 100 lbs dog this means he would need to ingest 4.5 grams to develop hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or 45 grams for liver toxicity. The pills list less than 1 gram of xylitol per pill so based on his weight he is right on the border as a potential toxicity; it all depends on how much less is that?

Inducing vomiting with peroxide after 12 hours will not help, the pills have moved out of the stomach. Plus, it is absorbed rapidly and symptoms may not show up for as long as 12 hours. In this case, I would recommend you observe him closely for the next 12 hours. Make sure he eats something every 3-4 hours. If at any point you notice: Weakness, vomiting, disorienatation, tremors, etc. give him 2-3 tablespoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup directly into his mouth and have him checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up within a few days with family veterinarian for a blood test to check on his liver.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter