Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

I have a 2 week old puppy and she hasn't pooped and tonight

Customer Question

I have a 2 week old puppy and she hasn't pooped and tonight I gave her a little molasses would that hurt her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.

Hello Lois

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I hope I can help you and Baby tonight. I do have a couple questions for you though, has the puppy not pooped at all since birth, or just not recently? When was the last time she pooped?

Molasses can be given if a puppy is hypoglycemic (the blood sugar is low), but if she is nursing or being fed formula regularly, then molasses should not be necessary. Although it won't hurt per se, it likely will not help with pooping. It can cause the blood sugar to go too high.

To help with pooping, you can use a warm, damp cloth to massage the anus area to stimulate her to poop. If she has not pooped since she was born or for multiple days, then I do recommend you have her seen by a veterinarian as severe constipation can be a sign of other problems, such as dehydration.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

I hope Baby feels better soon. Please give me an update on how she is doing as well!