Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has been vomiting in the early morning few days then

Customer Question

My dog has been vomiting in the early morning for a few days then early this morning he started with diarrhea, I gave him 5mls of Imodium apx. 6 hours ago but for the last 3 hours he's been vomiting again and about 30 mins ago he passed pure blood with a very pungent smell. I'm very worried. He's a dachshund, weighs 19 lbs and is 9 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dachshund eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, I've had him on a very bland diet today
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dachshund?
Customer: He's very lethargic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Diane, your doxi is demonstrating the symptoms of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) which is an umbrella term for a severe inflammation of the GI tract due to both non-infectious and infectious causes. Intestinal parasites such as Giardia, hookworms, and whipworms and infectious bacteria such as Clostridium difficile, Clostridium perfringens, Campylobacter, and Salmonella as well as viruses such as parvovirus and circovirus are considered to be most worrisome as they can rapidly dehydrate and electrolyte imbalance these small dogs. It would be prudent to admit him to a veterinary ER at your earliest convenience to be administered IV fluids, antibiotic(s), antiemetic and antacid drugs. HGE can be life-threatening. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?