Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

2 year old cavapoo, diarrhea on and off forc2 weeks. At

Customer Question

2 year old cavapoo, diarrhea on and off forc2 weeks. At first wr thought thst it wa from pesticide treatment, but no other dogs in our develooment were affected. We did feed him a restaurant hamburger. He hsd eaten this before. Did not seem to bother him. Steak unseasoned from another restsurantt did. He isceating chicken and roce, but seems omewhat sluggish
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kermie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kerrie?
Customer: Only thst he is alletgic to all injectable vaccines
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Soft sometimes drippy, gums look pink, no belly discomfort. We don't think that he has eaten anything strange, except for a restaurant hamburger, which he hashad before and some blue mountain dog food. Our development did some pesticide spraying, but wr carried him to amd area that we thought was not sprayed. Also none of the other dogs seemed to have diarrhea
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I am and am in the midst of typing my full reply. :)

I will post that shortly in full.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, with how long this has been ongoing, the pesticide is less likely to be the case. It is possible the foods you fed have triggered this (even if he tolerated it before) but otherwise, we'd have to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or a general dietary indiscretion.

Still with this mind, we'd want to initiate supportive care. We want to avoid any more rich foods and stick to a light diet at this point. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. As well, you can add fiber to this (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to this to bulk the stools up quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Furthermore, since there are no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (ideal for Kermie). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. And as this goes on, the pesticide is less likely to be causing this for Kermie. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, worm him, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics and symptomatic care to settle his stomach and settle these loose stools.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your thoughts. We'll begin to give some dog food that is intestianlly easier on his system. Off to the vet if it doesnt work.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like good plan of action.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet