Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 12 lb dog ate two pure protein brand bars, Charlie. 4.

Customer Question

My 12 lb dog ate two pure protein brand bars
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie. 4.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: No, just that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat these?

What ingredients did it have? Any chocolate, xylitol, macadamia nuts, etc?

How is Charlie just now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
None of those items. Tried to induce vomiting but did work. Still playful but very full belly
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ate between(###) ###-####mdt
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually some chocolate flavor coating.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type),

Now if this was likely eaten longer then in the past 2 hours (it sounds like we are getting past that at this point), then inducing vomiting is of limited benefit. That said, if none of those ingredients or grapes/raisins are present in these. then we'd not be overly worried here. A bit of chocolate coating could cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) but even that is unlikely with just a coating.

Therefore, while I'm happy to review the ingredients if you want to list them, we'd really only need to monitor +/- treat any GI upset. To address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )