Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

She had poop hanging out of her. I got rubber gloves on and

Customer Question

She had poop hanging out of her butt. I got rubber gloves on and put her in a sink with lukewarm water to wash it off. Now she is crying whenever I rub her hips. She is a chihuahua
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Annie 7yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annie?
Customer: She hasn't drank water all day
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Annie. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Was the stool hard or soft/loose that you had to clean off?

2. Has she been straining to pass stool? In other words, could she be constipated do you think?

3. Is she currently taking any medication?

4. How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1. Semi hard
2. Yes she strained to pass the stool. She might be constipated.
3. No meds
4. 11 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

If Annie is constipated, then this might explain her discomfort when you touch around her hip or stomach area.

When it comes to constipation issues, there are actually several options for you to try at home: manual removal and/or oral laxatives. If she's not badly constipated, then you may be able to provide her relief without a vet visit.

Removal options:
1. Sometimes if you can remove enough hard feces that are present right at the anal opening, the dog is able to evacuate the remainder. I frequently suggest this method for many owners who have dogs with this problem but since she's so small, I'm not sure if you'll be able to do it.

But, if you'd like to try, the following is how you would do so: Place a latex glove on your hand and lubricate it really well with K/Y jelly or Petroleum Jelly and lubricate her rectum, too. Gently insert your index finger into her anus up to your first or second knuckle, and hook your finger into fecal material and gently retract it. You may need to perform this procedure several times.
I would have someone helping you since this may be a little uncomfortable for Annie and you don't want to get injured yourself.
Iunderstand that this is not something that everyone will feel comfortable doing.

2. If you have a large syringe or turkey baster, you can also give her a warm water enema which is probably what will work best for her. Obviously, this is not for the faint hearted, though. I would lubricate the end of the syringe or baster as I mentioned above, gently insert into her rectum about 1 inch and gently squeeze the warm water into her.
You may also need to repeat this procedure several times to loosen up the hard stool.
Every step should be done gently so as not to cause harm.

3. You can give her an over the counter, enema such as a single pediatric glycerin suppository. Just read the label to insure that it only contains glycerin.

Oral laxative options (which may be effective if she's not badly constipated and to prevent recurrent episodes):

1. Laxatone or Laxaire (or similar products) which are hairball laxatives for cats. These products will work very well on a smaller dog like this. They are available at pet or grain stores. You would give 1-3 inches 2-3 times a day.
2. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix); ½ -1 tsp daily in food
3. Over the counter, human Miralax 1/4-1/2th tsp twice daily can work very well.
4. Oral Docusate Sodium (Colace) 25 mg once or twice a day for small dogs.

Encourage fluid intake by offering her canned or wet food or low sodium chicken or beef broth.

I suppose it's possible that something else is going on such as she may be experiencing discomfort from gas. If that's the issue, then you can safely give her human products for this problem such as Gas-X or Phazyme or Little Tummy's ...anything with Simethicone on the label. The dosage amount is somewhat empiric but I typically suggest about 1/4th of what a human would take.

I hope this helps to provide options for you to consider. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation yesterday about Annie. How are things going with her? Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not much better. She hasn't drank water and I made some low sodium chicken broth for her and she drank a little bit. She is constantly licking her tail.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that she's still not 100% her normal self.

If she's excessively licking her anal area and she's not constipated, then her anal glands may be bothering her. If you aren't familiar with these glands, the following link describes them in detail:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

Although a groomer can empty the glands, they usually attempt to empty them externally. The better method is done rectally which is how a vet tech or your vet would empty them. However most dogs with anal gland issues don't lose interest in food or water. This may be complicating the situation but it doesn't sound as if it may be the only issue.

If she's not drinking much, then you may need to use a syringe or small turkey baster to dribble the liquid into the side of her mouth where there's a gap. Fluid requirements of normal healthy dogs are about 1 ounce per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period; obviously dehydrated patients will require more.

If she continues to have issues tomorrow, then a vet visit may be prudent. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb