Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dog may have eaten a nordic ice pack, not sure if he did,

Customer Question

Dog may have eaten a nordic ice pack
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: not sure if he did, nor how much
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Ryder
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

Do you mean he ate it whole or punctured it and may have had the liquid?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, about 1 hour ago. I wasn't around when it happened, so I'm unsure if he digested any. He ripped open 2 packs.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He's fine at the moment. Nordic Ice pack made by Temperatsure Inc
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that he ripped them open and didn't eat the non-edible packaging (as that would be a blockage risk). The reason is because the Nordic Ice packs use propylene glycol. Thankfully these are non-toxic if eaten and is actually in some dog foods in small amounts. Though if he did have quite a bit, it is possible we could see a bit of stomach upset. And in that case, we could plan to consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). But again thankfully this isn't toxic and we'd expect no long term harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )