Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My one year old was just laying in the bed when s back leg

Customer Question

My one year old was just laying in the bed when his back leg started shaking and he is drooling a little. He is now up and seems effected but ok. He is responsive and wagging his tail. Have you ever seen this before?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rosco.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosco?
Customer: We just started giving him ear drops prescribed by our vet for a yeast infection in his ear
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You may have witnessed a simple partial seizure (previously called petit mal) in Rosco. This is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, drooling, e.g.) Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Rosco's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Rosco should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much. He is lethargic now but responsive. While we are watching him for further signs of seizure, should we expect him to behave normally or vomit or have appetite changes or anything?

He should normalize within the hour. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) sign. You can feed and water as usual and continue closely observing Rosco for seizure activity. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?