Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

What do seizures look like in a tiny Yorkie?

Customer Question

what do seizures look like in a tiny Yorkie?
Submitted: 5 months ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Seizures can manifest in a variety of ways- with some, the pet may remain conscious and appear to be "fly-biting" at the air, while sometimes they can fully lose consciousness and exhibit paddling of the limbs and body tremors. It is good you brought him in yesterday to be evaluated.

One thing that comes to mind in a young yorkie displaying possible seizure activity, is an inherited condition called a porto-systemic liver shunt. This problem is EXTREMELY common in yorkies, and will result in seizure activity. If he has not been tested for this yet- I would ask his veterinarian about getting a bile acids test performed. He will need to be fasted for 12 hours before the test- they will collect a fasted blood sample, feed him, then collect a second sample 2 hours after he has eaten. If this comes back abnormal, your veterinarian may then recommend an abdominal ultrasound, to look at the liver to see if there is shunting present. If it comes back normal- they may have to search for other reasons why he may be having seizures. Or it could be possible that the problem is not related at all to his liver- but we must eliminate the possibility of a liver shunt first since it is so common in yorkies. In the meantime- try to record a video of his episodes. This will further help the veterinarian in making a diagnosis, and getting Bentley on the right track. Has this helped? Please provide a rating for me today.

Please don't forget to provide a rating for me!

Please provide a rating.

Please provide a rating!

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!