Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 8 year old male german shepherd has developed a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: My 8 year old male german shepherd has developed a mass/growth inside his mouth at the lower lip end.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: it bleeds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Tango
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has the mass been there for? Does it seem to bother him at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We found this yesterday itself So cant say about its date of inception. It was found bleeding while he was eating food., came to notice since last two days .

Okay thanks for the additonal information. How big is the mass? If it seems large I would recommend a biopsy of the area to rule out anything malignant. Depending where it is located or the size of it , it may either be able to be removed completely or only a portion of it may need to be removed to get a biopsy.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attaching the picture for your reference

Okay thanks for the picture. It is definitely helpful. Definitely concerning due to its appearance and its size. I would definitely recommend a biopsy of the mass to get a definitive diagnosis of what the mass may be. That will give you an idea how to best treat it. You may also need to have additional testing such as chest x-rays and labwork