Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a male standard poodle who is 10 and has renal

Customer Question

I have a male standard poodle who is 10 and has renal failure. He has been treated w Azodyl for the last 4 years which has helped. He began vomiting three days ago and is refusing to eat. Drinking lots of water and passing it. I took him to the Er (My vets on vaca) and he was given fluids Cerenia ampicillin and tramadol. I did not have blood work done as I wanted to see how he progressed and wanted him at home. Does not seem to be in much pain. Question? If I take him back and have the tests completed is there anything more they can do for him?? I hate to put him through the testing for no reason. The ER is not close.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Atua, Jane. Testing would tell you if additional fluid therapy would be prudent. We know that Atua suffers from chronic renal failure but we don't know how severe that failure is at this time and if he can respond to fluid therapy. This is determined by testing, diuresing him for three days (a high dose of IV fluids) and then rechecking his renal values after the three days of therapy. As long as Atua continues to eat and drink at home, you can continue to "watchful wait" and have him testing when your vet returns. If Atua is anorexic at this time, however, you have a difficult decision to make - have him tested to see if it makes sense to initiate three days of fluid therapy or have the final kindness performed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! He did recieve a fluid bubble and is drinking a lot! Just won't eat! Hate to make him go to the hospital if he is at the end?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also would a urinalysis answer any of the questions!

Uh oh. Persistent anorexia is worrisome, indeed. Are there no local vets open near you who could perform a BUN and creatinine?

A complete urinalysis is essential along with the BUN, creatinine, serum phosphorus and calcium, and hematocrit/PCV when evaluating patients such as Atua.