Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My two Pomeranians got into a fight and one of them is

Customer Question

My two Pomeranians got into a fight and one of them is bleeding from the eye. What do u do??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did this happen?

Is it bleeding from the eyeball itself? From a puncture wound?

How does the eye look?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yesterday and it seems like it is bleeding from the eyeball itself. I think my other dog scratched himThe eye has stopped bleeding now but I'm worried it might get infected
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Oh dear,

First, I'd note that we rarely have bleeds from the eyeball unless they have had an intraocular bleed. If that happens, the eye usually will turn black with blood; then if there is bleeding from the eye it will deflate and shrivel (like a raisin). If this is what you are seeing, then Ollie would need surgery to remove the damaged eye and prevent any risk of infection (as bacteria can get in and then access the nerves that lead to the brain).

Otherwise, hopefully you aren't seeing that and the other dog has managed to nick the delicate tissues around the eye. In that case, as long as the eyeball looks normal (since a scratch could be serious and will usually cause the eyeball to look cloudy/hazy), you can try to reduce the risk of secondary infection by flushing the eye with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased as OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. Both are eye safe and can help us flush any irritants, debris, or bacteria present here. You can do this 2-3 times daily. As well, if Ollie rubs at the eye at all, we may need to have him wear an e-collar for the short term. And if he is sore with this at all, then we'd want to have the eye checked by his local vet so they can rule out severe damage and start him on dog safe pain relief +/- antibiotic drops for the eye.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )