Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dogs got into new bag of marrowbone snacks from pedigree

Customer Question

I think it was mainly one he is panting &twanging to go outside & has thrown up white foamy mucus like stuff
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he get into the bag? How long has he had these signs?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His tummy seems quite bloated about 6-8 hrs ago.
His gums are pink & moist
He is drinking water
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is peeing and has pooped once not diarrhea but definitely softer than normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Do you mean its bloated just now or was 6-8 hours ago?

Any change to his breathing?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you yet about those further questions I asked; I will leave my thoughts on what you have told me so far. Now I am glad to hear that those gums are lovely pink and moist. We do want to keep a close eye on that. Otherwise, we do need to tread with care. This is because we do have a few concerns with food "overdoses" of this nature. In the short term, we have to be concerned about food induced stomach distension. In the longer term, we also have to be vigilant for the complications of bloat (aka gastric dilation volvulus, an emergency situation where the stomach twists on itself) and pancreatitis (if the food was too much and too rich for his pancreas).

In regards ***** ***** stomach distension due to copious amounts of food (aka "food bloat"), we can commonly see these dogs develop abdominal pain, distension, gas expulsion (via burping or farting), nausea, +/- profuse vomiting or diarrhea. Now in many cases this is often something that resolves on it's own over 24-48 hours without any specific intervention. The dogs that tend to settle without veterinary attention will be those that are not showing adverse signs due to their gluttony. So as long as he is stable with nice pink gums and no belly pain, we will hopefully see him settle and have no other issue with this.

With that in mind, we’d want to start some supportive care. To start, we do want to tackle his nausea. If he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

While doing that and since the treats he got into was dry/dehydrated, we do want to monitor his hydration. This is because we can see dehydration and electrolyte imbalances arise due to the dry food pulling fluid from the body into the GI. If he still has a significant amount of treat in his stomach then this would be a concern. Therefore, if he does become lethargic, starts appearing dehydrated, or weak; then we it would be prudent to consider having him checked by his vet and potentially admitted for IV fluids while he is processing and passing all the excess food. To determine if he is dehydrated and needs IV fluid intervention, you can see how to do so HERE (

As for feeding/watering at the moment, once he is more settled we can start him with small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup) every 1-2 hours. Plan to withhold food for 24 hours. This will prevent him from taking too much water, which will then distend the treats and cause even more stomach distension. After that time frame has passed, resume feeding but only give 25-50% of his normal meal size. Once 48 hours have passed, provided all has settled, you can restart his normal feeding routine. Though since he has nausea, once we introduce food again we can use a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.

Overall, if your lad has no soreness, hopefully no breathing changes, and isn't in discomfort with this over eating of treats, then hopefully we will avoid any major adverse complications with this. Therefore, you may choose to take the above approach,. If he becomes depressed at all, then do make sure to check his hydration to make sure he has no dehydration. If you do see dehydration or you are seeing any of those aforementioned adverse signs, then we'd want to have him to your local ER vet urgently. Otherwise, if he remains stable, we should see stomach settle and see him recover from his misadventure with gluttony.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )