Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

After vincristine dose. She is shaking, Mollie. 12. Her cell

Customer Question

After vincristine dose. She is shaking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mollie. 12. Her white cell count is low. She's on prednisone 10 and augmentin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mollie?
Customer: She's being treated for lymphoma. It's her 2nd treatment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Would you say its a shiver or tremor?

Any appetite loss, retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any black stools?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Some ab tenderness she ate well earlier but just refused a biscuit. Was outside eating grass. Unsteady gait not sure about stools. Gums look good
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I share your concern about Mollie.

Its good that her gums are good and we do need to keep on those. Still, I do suspect that the Vincristine is causing the signs you are reported. Specifically, we can see disorientation, weakness, GI upset (vomiting, nausea- the cause of her grass eating, diarrhea,), and seizures with this drug. So, we do need to tread with care here.

Now since her gums are good and it sounds like her belly is mildly uncomfortable, I'd note that we can consider trying to tackle those GI side effects with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These will help reduce her nausea and should settle her discomfort and hopefully the shaking as well provided it is due to her feeling unwell.

Once that is on board, we can try to tempt her with a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut.

Of course, if we try this and she doesn't settle or she shows any of those other signs, then we'd need to get her local vet involved to assess her +/- start injectable anti-nausea treatment and supportive care to settle this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?