Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog got a hold of a very liquidity plastic ice pack. He

Customer Question

My dog got a hold of a very liquidity plastic ice pack. He punctured a whole in it and it all leaked out. I'm sure he ate some of it. Should we be concerned. He's a 65 pound 11 month old German Shepherd
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Is this one of the blue ice packs? If so it contains propylene glycol which in a pure form can be toxic to dogs but there isn't enough of it in the ice packs to harm dogs...particularly a 65 lb one. I would simply keep a watch on him and expect him to remain unaffected. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?