Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I feel my 7 year old Maltese shitzu cross is loosing weight

Customer Question

I feel my 7 year old Maltese shitzu cross is loosing weight and I gave no idea why
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He is still going for wa
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't hurt anywhere as I can tell he sleeps a lot but that to me appears to be normal he also eats his diff
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. An adult dog which is losing weight and is lethargic { sleeping more } for no obvious reason is always a bit of a cause for concern and this actually is quite a common scenario in a vet's consulting room. Hopefully this is something simple and so easily corrected there is always the possibility it might be something more serious. There is usually some reason behind these sorts of symptoms ...

2. Another way to look at this is that as your dog is losing weight you could say he is wasting, and we all know what the wasting diseases are, I have known such dogs have various serious diseases where in the early stages the only symptom was weight loss. Of course it could be many other things as well but this is a symptom you should not ignore.

3. Unfortunately there is very little you can hope to do here on a home treatment basis, I think the best way forward here is if you were to have your vet check things out as soon as you can. It may be that initial tests can be run such as bloods which give the vet a pointer.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.