Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

Is there an OTC alternative to Prednisolone?

Is there an OTC alternative to Prednisolone for dogs?

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im unable to get the perscription from the worst vet in the world for his pred for his repeat ear infections. So im searching for an alternative.

Hi- there is no OTC prednisolone, or oral corticosteroid product available, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No alternative?

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having this chronic ear issue. Whenever someone mentions that they are unhappy with their relationship with their veterinarian- I recommend finding a new one!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Beyond unhappy. The spca is a complete joke.

No, there is no alternative to an oral steroid. You may be able to find a new veterinarian who can refill the prescription for you, and also discuss other medications or approaches to managing chronic ear disease.

If you have no other questions, please provide a rating. I hope you can get things sorted out soon for him! He's lucky to have you looking out for him.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
any ideas as to what i can do for now?

If the ears are not too sore or ulcerated, and are producing a lot of discharge or debris, you can use a sterile saline solution (available at most pharmacies) to at least keep the ears clean and levels of infection down. If you haven't tried a different food- sometimes this can make a world of difference, although most ear infections are due to allergies other than food (pollen, molds, dust mites- things that cause hay fever in people). If you try a new food, try to use something with limited ingredients other than what she has already tried before- for example if she has been eating a diet with beef and corn as main carbohydrate and protein sources- try something with Salmon and rice or oatmeal. It may take 3 months of feeding the new diet only, to determine whether it is helping.

Please provide a rating when you have a moment.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Richard. How is everything going?
Rebekah Kane

Please provide a rating!

.