Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

She had a trauma about 2 weeks ago and has been throwing up

Customer Question

She had a trauma about 2 weeks ago and has been throwing up everything she eats
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No but I just gave her dewormer and it has gotten worse
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: She is acting normal but she throws up everything she eats
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Ok
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm just really worried . what can I do to help her
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We were moving and she got stepped on by my son she is only 7 weeks old . she cried a little and threw up now she is acting normal but throwing up everything she eats and most of the time it's not digested

OK, got it. In a puppy this young who is vomiting, the first thing we have to consider is an infectious disease like parvovirus, or gastrointestinal parasites/worms. If she has been vomiting for more than a day- she is at risk of becoming severely dehydrated. In puppies a puppy this young, it would be best for her to be examined as soon as possible by a veterinarian. They will be able to assess whether she needs to be rehydrated, and test her for parvo if they dee, appropriate. When you bring her in, try to collect and bring along a fresh stool sample if one is available. Has this helped?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think she has parvo because I have another dog that has not gotten it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What else could it be ?

If your other dog is an adult, or older puppy who has been vaccinated- they are likely protected from getting parvo as the vaccine is highly effective. The reason so many puppies get it is because they have not received the course of vaccinations yet, and they do not have a mature immune system. Vaccination for parvo is typically started at 6-8 weeks, and continues monthly until 16-18 weeks.

There are numerous other causes, and unfortunately it can sometimes be difficult to ascertain what the underlying cause of vomiting or diarrhea is. So we start with eliminating the most common causes by testing the stool for parasites, and testing for parvovirus. If these tests are clear- she may need bloodwork and/or x-rays to help determine the most appropriate course of action.

Do you have any other concerns to address today? If you are satisfied, please provide a rating.

I hope that you can get to the bottom of this and that little Chloe is feeling better soon- she is lucky to have you looking out for her!

Please don't forget to provide a rating!

Please provide a rating!

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!